collapse

Author Topic: Spriting with DT  (Read 2233 times)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
Spriting with DT
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:03:33 PM »
I figured that I will do one of these tutorials every so often to help people out . So I may as well start a thread . I actually did this tutorial awhile ago for someone . But it should help other new spriters out .

So here we go ........

First off I used this pic to get an idea of what I was trying to do .......

No hold on that's the wrong pic  :DxDie It was this one .....

I first made 2 palettes for the sprites , one in shades of black & the other I was trying to get that shiny look in the blue . The blue one also has the shades of black I need in the palette & the browns I need for the holster . Here they are ......

What I did when I started to make it easier for you is just paste the black legs onto the one with the blue palettes like so .......

Then his sheild plate on his abdomen is different than the Real Cap's so you have to draw that & make the black go higher ......

Looks pretty cool .  Then what I did was copy & paste the black arms & drew down to where the glove should be on the white with blacks & grays . I made the gloves stick out , like they are wrinkled . I covered his ears , since the Bucky Cap does not have his ears hanging out . I also added some lighter gray as highlights ........

Put the stars on his shoulders next & he has a blue stripe down his leg so I did that also ......

Then to make it easier on you I just copied & pasted Doom's holster ( remember I already put the browns in the palette ) But what I did do was shrink it some & redraw a little of it . I used a gun from Jill & turned it the way I needed it for his hand . I recolored it & drew the handle . Then I copied & pasted the part of the hand I needed form my original sprite .....

Time for the sheild . Every pic I seen had the sheild in his left hand & the gun in his right . Most of Caps actual sprites do not have the sheild in his hand at all . So it's really easy to use his sheild sprites & put the sheild in whatever hand you want . I did have to sprite the strap ......

Then I added some final touches , I touched up his face , shoulder & a few minor tweaks for your finished product ......

Let me say that his boots are black & I realize that . But I did the sprite & I liked them red better . It's a quick fix to color them shades of black though . Also he has more pouches on his waste , but I had stuff to do on Wolvenom so I didn't feel like taking the time to sprite them .

To do this edit right in my opinion is not the easiest thing . It took me some work . Feel free to use anything I did here

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:55:40 PM by DARKTALBAIN »

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zerok_116

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 06, 2016, 05:37:25 PM
  • sprite by "DooM" and Avy by "R-15"
    • Email
Re: Spriting with DT
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »
great tutorial DT! :thumbsup: its really helpfull to People like me who have trouble with these things :(

looking foward to that dog sprite :DxDie

Offline MugenMaster44

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 25, 2010, 09:48:54 PM
  • I will crush you
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
great man you should make a spriting tutorial for just making sprites out of thin air

:O*D Enjoying the Show

Offline bse24

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 26, 2024, 04:15:28 PM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
Nice tutorial DT!  =D>

Offline Technology

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 14, 2009, 02:02:02 PM
  • Got Any Char Request? PM Me.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
Thanks alot for this awesome tutorial, but... I still have a question how can I sprite my own "special effects" sprites for my char or how to transfer some "special effects" sprites from a char to my own char and how to properly animate them.

Sorry if I'm asking to much I just want to learn how. :)

Thanks alot and nice tut.  ;)
I love cheap chars, got any cheap char? Send it to me.
Special Thanks to Twon for my beautiful avy and Twon & shulbocka for the siggies.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »
Thanks alot for this awesome tutorial, but... I still have a question how can I sprite my own "special effects" sprites for my char or how to transfer some "special effects" sprites from a char to my own char and how to properly animate them.

Sorry if I'm asking to much I just want to learn how. :)

Thanks alot and nice tut.  ;)

If you are taking Capcom or SnK effects from a character & putting them into your own . The animations should already be there . If you need a color change for them , just change the palettes in fighter factory to make them the colors you need . Much like I did to make Captain America's black outfit . There are many tutorials here on palette changing , that's why I didn't get into to it too much . I kind of made this tutorial to help beginners out , so it's pretty basic . 

Making your own effects is a whole other story . Depending on what kind of effects you want . If you want them to be sprited like I did with the necroplasm for Medieval Spawn , just start drawing them . If you want them to have the glowing effect like alot of P.O.T.S. characters have . There are various programs you can use to do that .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Technology

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »
Oh, I see thanks alot.  ;D

But, if I could not code my special effects to my WIP project, would you like to help me a bit?

If I'm not asking for to much...  ???
Special Thanks to Twon for my beautiful avy and Twon & shulbocka for the siggies.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:25:59 AM »
Oh, I see thanks alot.  ;D

But, if I could not code my special effects to my WIP project, would you like to help me a bit?

If I'm not asking for to much...  ???

Sorry , bud

Trust me , I am not the best coder especially for really crazy moves . I was coding the " cannonball " move into Wolvenom & it messed his intro up .  :-??  I'm learning things as I go along with Medieval Spawn . So I am not the right guy to ask to do that .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 28, 2024, 08:19:22 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
Hey DT great post but you must have a lot of time on your hands and a mighty big shovel. dont track mud on the carpet. (U know what i mean lol)

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Technology

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
Sorry , bud

Trust me , I am not the best coder especially for really crazy moves . I was coding the " cannonball " move into Wolvenom & it messed his intro up .  :-??  I'm learning things as I go along with Medieval Spawn . So I am not the right guy to ask to do that .

Well, thanks anyway, I'm going to try to figure it out.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Spriting with DT again.....

I figured I would show you something else that was a little more complicated & I happen to save my progress through out the creation. This was my Mega Medieval Spawnman sprite that I entered in the sprite comp the week that i didn't host it.

Let's get started....

I started with a megaman sprite. But just like I showed you before, to make things easier on myself I made palettes using the colors I was going to need. The blue palette also had the reds added to the swatch so I could just copy & paste. Remember the palettes don't need to look good, just so the parts you are using look like they should.

OK, so I took the blue sprite & copied & pasted all the red parts I needed from the other one Like so.....

Now I have a good base with the colors I want, where I want them , lets start editing....

I started with the boot. I wanted Mega Medieval Spawn's boots to look more like a Spawn boot than megaman. So I really customized it & added different shading. I didn't do his other one because my Medieval Spawn doesn't have a boot on both legs.

Then I added the spikes & started working on the gauntlet he wears on his one arm

The mask & Spawn's striping were next

I altered his head & decided to put spikes on the straps that hold the mask on. Also since this is a megaman style Spawn. I decided that he could have two big boots, so I sprited the other one & redid the shading.

Now if you look at the top of the sprite, sometimes I make things off to the side like I did with the skulls. The can always be pasted where I need them later. i find it easier to do things like that. So I sprited & shaded his cape on hm & then I pasted a skull on top of it in the appropriate place. I also sprited another spiked band on his arm.

I knew I wanted to give him a weapon & it was going to be a sword at first. But then I felt a mace would be more fitting the megaman universe & if I was going to make him a full character I could do some really cool moves with him. This was the first quick concept of the mace. You can see the sprite of the chain on top. I was already thinking that was a better idea.

OK so here's where we start finishing things up & adding minor details.....

I changed the mace to being on a chain so he could swing it. I added the chain to hold his cape on, which messed up the skulls. Good thing I still had them next to him. Copy & paste again. I was tossing around having the chains/skull on his waste. how many, where would the be, or not having them at all. I decided on one chain that wraps around his waste with the skull on it, after making a few different versions, I thought that looked the best. The reason why I used the sprite that I did, was because I knew from the beginning that I was going to make the one hand glow with necroplasm. So I added my greens to the palette & sprited the necroplasm. Here's the sprite with all this & of course all of the extra garbage around him erased since I am almost done.

Now it's ready for the sprite competition. The finalized sprite with the background removed. There were a few minor touch ups from the one above, but it was pretty much done there.

I hope this demonstration can help someone out on becoming a better spriter & honing their talent  :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 08, 2014, 12:22:16 AM
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
That's pure mandess, I love it! :thumbsup: ^:)^

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista