collapse

Author Topic: [POLL] Do you want to bring back the spriting competition  (Read 1714 times)

Offline overlordnick

• Winner of Round 2/3/7/8/12 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:July 05, 2016, 05:28:34 AM
    • Email
[POLL] Do you want to bring back the spriting competition
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
I like the sprite comp and it's been out for criminally long, but it stopped being held due to low turn-out so i don't want to waste my time if there's no interest.

Also the topic used to be chosen by the previous winner so i'm not sure what to do about that, suggestions are welcome but if all else fails I'll just pick something myself. (suggestions on how to pick preferable over what to pick)

You know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel when they make me a mod

Offline overlordnick

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
Re: [POLL] Do you want to bring back the spriting competition
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
BUMP

be sure to make it known if you want this brought back, 5 entries (the current number of votes not counting my own) would be an ideal minimum, i'm also thinking a two week timeframe might be more accommodating  :-??

Offline Excahm

• MFFA/C.R.O.M. Stage Maker, Needless Fanboy, Lando's Headache and Rage's GFX Brother and Somewhat a Spriter.
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 24, 2019, 05:23:39 PM
  • Ready to shut the f*ck up your mount!
    • Mugen Team Mexico
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
i say depends on what kinda of spriting competition.
Like themed things are boring and limited imo would be better if it was Sprite w.e you want to.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
I def want the sprite competition ( AND the avy /sig) to come back! It always was a source of inspiration to see what others could do and if i could do them too and as good. I semi agree with ex chan too. Tho nothing is wrong with themed contests since they require tighter rules and specifics and there is also that deadline. I seen a lot of folks who are spriters are on many projects wether its just theirs or assists. So yeah a good new window of creation time would be more accommodating.
a freelance sort of competition is very good. leave a lot of playroom and  folks wont have to key specifics unless there are some in place.  So a create what you want style is very good. i personally dont want to be limited to just doing comics and street fighter stuff. It would be cool to be able to really branch out into originality more. Might be more inviting i guess to those who want to make and show they own personal ideas vs others. many ways to go about this and still keep it a lil themed too here and there.

my suggestion... do a few trials comps and see what buzzes. Maybe that will kick start it up again and running.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:02:28 PM by C.R.O.M - Hobokenlandojutsu »

Offline Excahm

• MFFA/C.R.O.M. Stage Maker, Needless Fanboy, Lando's Headache and Rage's GFX Brother and Somewhat a Spriter.
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 24, 2019, 05:23:39 PM
  • Ready to shut the f*ck up your mount!
    • Mugen Team Mexico
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
Long Text  with swag  XD||

I gona beat you and dance over your face >:D

jk

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
I gona beat you and dance over your face >:D

jk
is.....that....a.. challenge?  /:O..... >:D bring it on Ex Fart...i mean Heart...i mean Chan!  \-/o
lol

Offline overlordnick

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
i don't like the idea of zero limitations or themes because it makes it harder should anyone decide to just pick something off google image (can be mostly dealt with, but annoying never the less), you could finish up any only wip you had and have a significant head start on the competition, also it could be fractured enough with art styles from hand drawn to 8 bit to anything else let alone if everything had a completely different subject matter

i was thinking of trying to be as generic as possible with the theme and very liberal with acceptance

i'm thinking 3 weeks submission/ 1 week voting for a time frame, starting monday

Offline Enso

• C.R.O.M. Dancer, Sprite Artist, Winner of Sprite of the Week Contest #71, and Winner of Round 6 and 15 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 11, 2024, 03:41:40 AM
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
Hmm.. a 3-week submission and 1 week voting eh? How about 4-5 days of vote if this starts Monday?

The problem is US (all of us I mean) the spriters who don't get the time to sprite for contest. Maybe it's because some don't understand what the theme is. Some don't have time to sprite for it. Some don't have interest. Etcetera.

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline MotorRoach

• What the cup is on your face
  • Last Login:May 03, 2021, 03:48:50 PM
  • My hat is dead
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
Alright, I know I'm late for this, but I'll be perfectly honest in here. I hardly liked the previous sprite contest system. It was such a mess, I don't even know where to start.

For one thing, I remember many things that could hardly be considered sprites being entered in. Some times they were resized blurry artworks, some times they were multiple sprites mashed together with a random background, and some times there were sprites with ugly photoshop blurs in it. Hell, I even imagine ridiculously simple frankensprites getting into the contests. Why this is all a problem? Because there is a huge lack of limitation of what can be considered a sprite entry and what cannot be. There needs to be more strict guidelines regarding what can be entered as an entry (unless the theme is intended to be intentionally something bad, which I doubt that would happen often).

The problem regarding the entries getting in so easily wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for how the voting system works. The bases behind the entry can be ridiculously obvious, barely edited at all, but if there were users not aware of that, they could just think "Wow! That's very detailed! I vote for this one!". That is obviously a problem, because entries can both win or lose unfairly, because the people who voted could easily lack the spriting sense to judge the sprite and know how much effort went into it, as well for the concept. I've lost the count of how many times that happened, and it frankly got annoying for me in the past too often.

For something like this, instead of just making anyone being able to vote without even giving a proper reason for why they chose said entry other than saying "It looks cool", it would've been a much better way if there were proper judges for the contest. Judges that are spriting veterans and can give a detailed post regarding all entries, showing both good and bad sides in all of the aesthetic and concept of each entry. I'd feel much more inspired to enter the sprite contests of the forum if I could make my entry knowing that there would be people judging it fairly.

I hope I was clear enough.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »
Hmmmm pretty good read and post. Hits on some markers as well. I have some reservations of my own about some of the things you have stated  too.

I honestly always loved the inclusion of spriters wether noobish to the more higher quality pros in mugen. That keeps the fun factor of the contest rather than be a dire strict American Mugen Sprite style contest. Which is why also no one knlws who sprited what until the reveal of the winners. I am always shocked in excitement at how much someone has grown in their skills from before. Its impressive.

Having just a set of vet judges and give their formatted critic still depends since everyone even vets dont sprite every style to even give a concised feedback on one certain style or another.  Some follow basics, some dont, some go their own path but still keep in play many traditional pixel art skills laid out by those who games and such we learn to do.  I am not much against it but I am not as well for it. Then comes in..who will be the judges? What are the sprite criterias to meet. If I am not as polished as someone spriting and nailing a certain style then should I bar myself from entering cause I am not as good..per say?  This may deter more begineers from entering than invite. Its in opinion and perspective but not a solid fact tho. lol.

There are some things seriously to consider tho implementing this as it can have positives and negatives. I would love to see it come back, I would enjoy challenging some folks even far better than myself. I am such a noob and would like to have a lil fun again and maybe show off what I have learned. Do I have the time tho for a deep off projects and submissions work contest? , along with RL stuff. Probably not but I would like to try. For the fun of it.  :cool

I figure when folks seriously have the free up time and more spriters want to have a contest then that will be up for a good discussion how to handle it to keep the fun vibe of it going but as well keep on point of being good artwork from all who enter.

Crom Hobo king Lando essay......now I gotta go dig in this dumpster to find me a new table.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:43:38 PM by C.R.O.M - Hobo King Lando »

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal