collapse

Author Topic: Hackers leave PS3 security in tatters  (Read 859 times)

Offline Dead Phoenix

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 02:35:37 AM
    • DeadPhoenix9065
Hackers leave PS3 security in tatters
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-security-in-tatters?page=1

PlayStation 3's internal security scheme is a shambles, with all of its major anti-piracy features failing abysmally. The system is so vulnerable that hackers now have the exact same privileges as Sony in deciding what code can run on the console. So says the self-styled "Fail0verflow" team, hackers with a successful track record in opening up closed devices such as the Nintendo Wii for running homebrew code and – of course – perennial favourite, Linux. Yes, despite......... (continued in article)

The tongues of dying men force attention, like deep harmony. Where words are spent, they are seldom spent in vain.
-Mei Ling quotting Shakespeare

Offline bse24

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 26, 2024, 04:15:28 PM
    • Email
Re: Hackers leave PS3 security in tatters
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Those idiots.  This better not have the same effect piracy had on the psp.  There are barely any new quality games for the psp because no one wants to make a game and not get any money from it.

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
Those idiots.  This better not have the same effect piracy had on the psp.  There are barely any new quality games for the psp because no one wants to make a game and not get any money from it.

This statement isn't true. PS2 got hacked a long time ago and the good titles still comes out.
The problem with PSP is because he was KO'ed by the DS.

The history of videogames says the opposite: piracy makes the console sells more. This is why PS1/PS2 sold SO much.

And plus, they aren't idiots. Sony took of one of the main features of the PS3: the ability of to use an OS on it and use it as a supercomputer cluster.
I know some Colleger here in Brazil that uses 16 PS3 on a clusters, saving tons of money because to have the same power they would need to use 72 computers.

Sony CAN'T say what we do with our console after we brought it. PS3 is the only videogame who LOST features a long the time, not earning like all the others.

Offline Swiziga

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:October 28, 2016, 11:01:46 PM
  • Hyper Combo Finish
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
i think psp only stopped making games bcause psp2 was on the way. i mean why waste time making stuff for the older model when the new one will have better graphics capabilities which would probably give them more money. and dissidea 2 is on the way for psp so i don't think piracy affected anything it does sell more units just look at wii and ds.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
@Swiziga: Very good point.

@O'I: Nope. Actually the PSP makes better quality titles, it's just that the DS was more aimed at kids. More kids come every day, therefore more DS buyers. PSP is for more hardcore gamers. I think why PSP didnt get so good in the buying w/e effect is b/c you need a PS3 to go global. I totally dont want to pay $500 for a system, just so I can go global with my games tbh. I'm hoping Microsoft gets into the actual handheld market soon. The DS AND PSP are falling down a bad road though. DS.. with their stupid camera, and PSP refusing to let UMDs to be played anymore.. so Sony makes more $$.... >.<

The psp actually had a lot of potential. I've seen videos of people hacking it and putting OS like Windows 2000 and Windows XP on it. Heck, you can even mod your PSP to have Microsoft Word and a mini keyboard attachment!

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »
the whole crazy thing about piracy and the belief that it helps companies sell stuff is kinda good and kinda very bad.the only way the companies make money from piracy is on the console side really. You know you can get a FREE iso on a console and not have to shell out the duckets , man peeps are gonna def get one and mod the heck out of it so it can do run the games. But after console sales decline they lose the money gain cause now they dont make money off the games. which rack in lots of sales ( ok depending on the fanbase and how good the games really are to sell high profits scores and margins) so they cant make their targeted marks on the board.   they def cant tell us what to do with our consoles and the ones that can be modded easily do generate some sales. but in the industry the companies that produce those games lose cause they wont make any good money back .  Oh well on to playin my homebrew. lol

Post Merge: January 04, 2011, 07:01:21 PM
@Swiziga: Very good point.

@O'I: Nope. Actually the PSP makes better quality titles, it's just that the DS was more aimed at kids. More kids come every day, therefore more DS buyers. PSP is for more hardcore gamers. I think why PSP didnt get so good in the buying w/e effect is b/c you need a PS3 to go global. I totally dont want to pay $500 for a system, just so I can go global with my games tbh. I'm hoping Microsoft gets into the actual handheld market soon. The DS AND PSP are falling down a bad road though. DS.. with their stupid camera, and PSP refusing to let UMDs to be played anymore.. so Sony makes more $$.... >.<

The psp actually had a lot of potential. I've seen videos of people hacking it and putting OS like Windows 2000 and Windows XP on it. Heck, you can even mod your PSP to have Microsoft Word and a mini keyboard attachment!

:thumbsup: excellent point Atice ::salute::

Offline bse24

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 26, 2024, 04:15:28 PM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »
the whole crazy thing about piracy and the belief that it helps companies sell stuff is kinda good and kinda very bad.the only way the companies make money from piracy is on the console side really. You know you can get a FREE iso on a console and not have to shell out the duckets , man peeps are gonna def get one and mod the heck out of it so it can do run the games. But after console sales decline they lose the money gain cause now they dont make money off the games. which rack in lots of sales ( ok depending on the fanbase and how good the games really are to sell high profits scores and margins) so they cant make their targeted marks on the board.   they def cant tell us what to do with our consoles and the ones that can be modded easily do generate some sales. but in the industry the companies that produce those games lose cause they wont make any good money back .  Oh well on to playin my homebrew. lol

Post Merge: January 04, 2011, 07:01:21 PM
:thumbsup: excellent point Atice ::salute::
Exactly.  When companies wont make any money for their games, they wont make make them.  The only reason why there are awesome psp games like MGS Peace Walker and Dissidia is because the psp does good in Japan.  But I agree with O Illusionista where piracy and hacking increase revenue, but on the council, not the games, and without good games, no one will buy the concil.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
Exactly.  When companies wont make any money for their games, they wont make make them.  The only reason why there are awesome psp games like MGS Peace Walker and Dissidia is because the psp does good in Japan.  But I agree with O Illusionista where piracy and hacking increase revenue, but on the council, not the games, and without good games, no one will buy the concil.

right right! Man it was kinda real looser back in the day when me and peeps used to do outsource working for the developers, man but you had to sign all these forms cause if your butt leaked their work...huge trouble bro huuuge. But now , those outsource works only consists of testers and maybe some other smaller fields but ya dont get full access to work. So companies started only doing inhouse main work. but that dont stop hackers. lol . lot of peeps sometimes dont see how huge the piracy business affects the developers the most. they lose out on the money cause they dont get any kickbacks from console sales. Thats why you see soooooooo many mergers and peeps selling their brand to each other. Their company stock only goes up if the target sale goals are reached, so when you see lack of sales ...plummet man.They are always gonna keep tryin to make console and games have deeper coding so its harder to break, especially like updating and all that with the psp.yeah no hack on mine :'(  I just hope the game industry doesnt go under. So many mergers going on and inside trading cause some peeps decline in profits and cant fund they own project are resorting big time for outside affiliation. 2011 i hope brings some changes. :thumbsup:

Offline Yung Kratos

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 27, 2012, 12:49:15 AM
  • Some mothaf***as always Tryna iceskate uphill
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »
The thing about piracy is that it does not affect sales in the least bit. people who pirate games would not have bought them other wise if you look at video game sales caomparitively between each generation and each sequel in franchise games. the growth is exponential. piracy is a marketing scheme from the companies themselves to try to get more people to buy even more games by sympathizing with them. if you buy games cool if you get them on the sneak cool the world is gonna keep turning and there gonna keep making that money.
(click to show/hide)

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
Its in portuguese, but....all the keys from PS3 (and PSP) are on the internet now: http://bit.ly/fTBb49

This means a non fixable ps3 hacking, because to fix it...Sony would need to ban his OWN games, since that are the Sony own signature.

How is talking now, Sony?

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »
The thing about piracy is that it does not affect sales in the least bit. people who pirate games would not have bought them other wise if you look at video game sales caomparitively between each generation and each sequel in franchise games. the growth is exponential. piracy is a marketing scheme from the companies themselves to try to get more people to buy even more games by sympathizing with them. if you buy games cool if you get them on the sneak cool the world is gonna keep turning and there gonna keep making that money.

Hmmm you def might have a clue in point with the company being behind some of the pirate games. who knows. but that goes across the board as well for dvd, cd and others. Yes tho , companies do lose those sales indeed. like an example as well as yours, on the flip side of the toss. I work for a company and i design a game for one console. where i get my pay off from the back off in roylaties that have to be split. when 20 people buy my game ( who are pirates) those 20 people create over a thousand pirate games of my companies game. we see no profits in that group of consumers cause the pirated software stays underground and no kickback to the company. So we lose those sales but only gained the 20 people sales that officially bought the game to pirate. Of course it could be a conspiracy throey that the industry leeches out the games to be piraed. i wouldnt argue that one at all. anything is possible but as it stands for pirated software, hardware and such , that money supposidly doesnt feed back to the original source.

Like pirated cd sales and movies done on the underground. the singers , actors and companies dont get paid from those sales. Now they may and sometimes will make money if the pirated stuff isnt that good quality, say movies, people will either flock to go see it in the movies or just wait to buy the whole dvd cause they wanna have it in the better quality. thas only if they buy it. thats why sales this year in movies was down big time..ok maybe not cause of pirated movies as a whole, cause some flicks just tanked but it does contribute.
we both have points indeed.  :thumbsup:

Offline Random Regular

• heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:54:53 AM
  • ??!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »
Why all the hate for Sony Ilu?
If you were one of them you would probably be scared too haha.

And please, no. MS. in. the. handheld. market. Thinking about it makes me crazy, the PSP Vs DS thing we have now is perfect, Hardcore vs Err...mixed things (Or whatever you'd like to call it) is perfect, what would MS offer? Gears Of War Portable? Nah..They can enter if Sony quits though :p

Got my 2nd PS3 "hacked" already (:P), I couldn't resist playing against my friends on Final Burn Alpha PS3 with 1080p support, I can't wait for the Dolphin and Dreamcast emulators that are WIP's  =P~
Btw, SNES running 720p on a 3D LED TV is f@#$ing great.

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
Why all the hate for Sony Ilu?
If you were one of them you would probably be scared too haha.

I don`t hate sony. I still have a PS1 and PS2.

I just hate some of their actions.

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
All of this hacking might lead to emulation as well which is really a system killer. In the cause of mugen it might lead to PS3 sprite rips as well.

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
Possible. The PS3 .pkg files might include graphics on them.

Offline Dead Phoenix

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 02:35:37 AM
    • DeadPhoenix9065
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »
A recent security exploit discovered by a group of PlayStation 3 hackers has become a major issue for one of gaming's most popular shooters.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 have become "exposed to exploits and hacks" due to the PS3 security breach. What's worse is that developer Infinity Ward is currently unable to provide a complete fix.

"Games rely on the security of the encryption on the platforms they're played on, therefore; updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem completely, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform," Community Manager Robert Bowling explained. "However, that doesn't mean we're not going to look into every option available to us."

"Regretfully, Call of Duty games are receiving the bulk of the hacker's attention, due to its high player counts and popularity. However, the number of legitimate players severely outweighs the bad apples."

"At this time, we do not have the ability to restore or adjust individual stats."

In the meantime, Bowling suggests concerned players should play exclusively with friends until Sony is able to resolve the issue. He added that Infinity Ward's future titles will unlikely utilize the platform's security.

"In the future we plan to adjust our approach to not rely solely on platform security and reduce the ability for this to happen in our games, as has already been displayed by the work Treyarch has done on Call of Duty: Black Ops to prevent similar measures."

Activision has not responded to requests for comment

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1144456p1.html
The tongues of dying men force attention, like deep harmony. Where words are spent, they are seldom spent in vain.
-Mei Ling quotting Shakespeare

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Hmm, how easy would it have been to program their game servers to notice large jumps in player stats and create ban contorls based on irregularities.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
Hmm, how easy would it have been to program their game servers to notice large jumps in player stats and create ban contorls based on irregularities.

^^(PM)^ Now that right there acey would be the smart way for them to go, but as we all know, sometimes they get a lil lazy in coming up with profound programming to keep the pace. Hackers always find a way tho. :D

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
It's true, a programmer just can't think of every possibility that might ocure so they have to come back and fix things up later. Actually, this the the main reason why Project X Rogue isn't ready for release yet actually.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
yeah its very rough job keeping up with the programming and then having to keep updating . A good friend of mines works in gaming from our long years ago, he constantly gets frustrated cause hackers are always finding "backdoors" to keep punching their way through.  well one day ( yeah right) they will find a way to lockout hacking into some gaming codes but until then, updating is the only way so far that works until a new backdorr hack is made and used. SMh . Well its onto hackin my psp i go. lol

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 02, 2024, 09:44:33 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

Get permabanned! VoteKick gets fighters banned in MUGEN! (April Fools 2024) by GTFoxN6Y
[April 01, 2024, 05:25:31 PM]

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal