collapse

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog: What are your thoughts?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
  • Last Login:March 25, 2015, 02:28:49 PM
    • BigJ's Mugen site
Sonic the Hedgehog: What are your thoughts?
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »
The other day I was bored and I started looking through my small game collection and I found Sonic Mega Collection. I popped it in the Wii and started playing all the old sonic games from the 90's when I realized how much fun I USED to have with the series. Now it just seems so tired. The only 3d Sonic games I've ever really enjoyed were Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Heroes, (which alot of people hate for some reason). I just cant get into 3D sonic games like I can with 3D Mario games. Either the gameplay just doesn't feel right, or the use of unnecessary chars makes it feel all the more weird for me, not to mention every 3D sonic game seems to need a rock song to go along with it. Now Sonic Advance was a really fantastic series. 2D gameplay, 2D sprites, classic chars, incredible speed, nobody talking... It just felt so right lol.

Rant over...

What are your thoughts?

Offline Aura-Master

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:February 18, 2020, 03:22:18 AM
  • Animating anyone?
    • Email
Re: Sonic the Hedgehog: What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:23 AM »
he's awesome, I didn't even care if he was 3d or 2d, sonic has been my all-time favorite since I was 3 and the more new sonic games, the more I was satisfied, and even though his games are bit in the dumps, I dont care, hes sonic, the fastest one alive :)
Currently in need of one

Offline R.I.C.O - Teros

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 27, 2018, 08:24:27 AM
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:16:25 AM »
Well, you all already know what i'm going to say, Sonic is just pure awesome! I own all of his games up until Heroes (yeah, big collection).

I loved all of his games up untill Heroes. It was decent and entertaining, but not as awesome as his other games. A good 7/10 seems about right.

Sonic 06, despite the glitches, broken gameplay, wierd story, and more unwanted characters; it had good level design (for Sonic's missions anyway).

Secret Rings was awesome when I rented it, and I intend on purchasing it here soon.

Haven't played the Riders or Rush series yet, but I heard great things about the Rush games and will be buying them this weekend. I'm going to rent Rider: Zero Gravity when I get back from my vacation because it looks pretty fun.

Bottom line, Sonic is the greatest gaming character alive! One bad game (Sonic 06), big woop, he's got another on the way that looks awesome.

My Mugen stages, etc.
The Lair Zone

Offline Darkgargos

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:October 10, 2017, 12:10:54 PM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:35:50 AM »
For me the 2D Sonic games is where it's at, I just can't get into the 3D one's. I prefer all the Sega Genesis Sonic games, they are way more fun and have the best music and of course Sonic CD is pure awesome town. The 3D one's just never felt right and seemed to be missing that Sonic flavor I grew up with. I love Sonic, but he's changed too much and doesn't feel like himself anymore. Old skool Sonic FTW!

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
    • BigJ's Mugen site
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
@Teros: Sonic 6 was the one for 360 right? If so then I now where you're coming from :| That game was baaaaaaaad. Horrible controls...

@Darkgargos: Totally man, I feel the same way. Personally, I think Sonic should just keep his mouth shut, unless hes in a game like smash bros. IMO, Sonic Team should just stick to what sells and stay 2D, instead of trying over and over to make a good 3D Sonic game.

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 17, 2008, 02:28:20 PM
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
One bad Sonic game? :DxDie

:| = Average.
:-& = Sucks.

List of bad Sonic games:
Sonic 3D Blast(:-&)
Sonic R(:-&)
Sonic Riders series(:-&)
Sonic Heroes(:-&)
Sonic Adventure(bad voice acting  :|).
Sonic Shuffle(:-&).
Sonic Fighters(:-&).
Sonic Rivals series(:-&)
Sonic Secret of the Rings(:|)
Billy Hatcher(:-&) <-Yeah it counts.
Shadow The Hedgehog(:-&).
Sonic The Hedgehog 06(:-&).
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games(:|) <-Olympics wow.

In a few months "Sonic Unleashed", will be on that list.
Sega should just end the Sonic Series, or his legacy will be ruined.

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
    • BigJ's Mugen site
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »
Haha, yeah, most of those were pretty bad. I think they should just stick to 2D. 3D in a 2D setting even like Sonic Rush.

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Initiate
  • Last Login:October 11, 2013, 11:41:30 PM
  • "Know my power!"
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
Personally, (and I bet I'm the only person in existence who think so), I prefer the 3D Sonic games to the 2D ones (except Advance and Rush). To me, the 3D games were easier (Yes, I haven't beaten any of the Genesis games without cheating, so what? <_<|...|) and had far more interesting stories. Plus, the 3D games let you do more than just run down a single path, they added a bit of exploration.

In addition, all of the "unnecessary" characters greatly contributed to the plot of the games they were in. Quite a few of them were very original, like Silver, the one people seem to hate the most just because he's one of the most original Sonic character design-wise (psychokinesis FTW :thumbsup: ) and has lots of potential.

Lastly, I'm one of the few people (if any at all) who liked Sonic 06, so don't insult me for that. I liked it, but I don't say it's the best Sonic game ever. (Adventure 2 is the best to me  :) ) In a way, I am a Sonic fanboy, and I think that Sonic is just as good as he's always been....well, to an extent... (bring back Ryan Drummond NOW!!!!!)

P.S. To assure you that I'm not a "rabid Sonic fanboy"... Sonic SatAM sucks...a lot <_<|...|

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
Personally, (and I bet I'm the only person in existence who think so), I prefer the 3D Sonic games to the 2D ones (except Advance and Rush). To me, the 3D games were easier (Yes, I haven't beaten any of the Genesis games without cheating, so what? <_<|...|) and had far more interesting stories. Plus, the 3D games let you do more than just run down a single path, they added a bit of exploration.

In addition, all of the "unnecessary" characters greatly contributed to the plot of the games they were in. Quite a few of them were very original, like Silver, the one people seem to hate the most just because he's one of the most original Sonic character design-wise (psychokinesis FTW :thumbsup: ) and has lots of potential.

Lastly, I'm one of the few people (if any at all) who liked Sonic 06, so don't insult me for that. I liked it, but I don't say it's the best Sonic game ever. (Adventure 2 is the best to me  :) ) In a way, I am a Sonic fanboy, and I think that Sonic is just as good as he's always been....well, to an extent... (bring back Ryan Drummond NOW!!!!!)

P.S. To assure you that I'm not a "rabid Sonic fanboy"... Sonic SatAM sucks...a lot <_<|...|
You're a "Sonic Team Fanboy", you must have been born playing 3D games to like new sonic over the old. :|

Sonic 06 was the worst game ever, the long loadtimes, pointless stupid challenges, un-original storyline(mario ripp off?), Bad voice acting even worst than SA, and boring characters. Hedgehog x Human is also disgusting. :|
<_<|...| 2D Sonic games had good music, graphics, level design, it doesn't need a story.
Silver is not original.
Coming from the Future to save the past. Sup Trunks.

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Initiate
  • "Know my power!"
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »

You're a "Sonic Team Fanboy", you must have been born playing 3D games to like new sonic over the old. :|

Sonic 06 was the worst game ever, the long loadtimes, pointless stupid challenges, un-original storyline(mario ripp off?), Bad voice acting even worst than SA, and boring characters. Hedgehog x Human is also disgusting. :|
<_<|...| 2D Sonic games had good music, graphics, level design, it doesn't need a story.
Silver is not original.
Coming from the Future to save the past. Sup Trunks.

I am not a "Sonic Team fanboy", FYI, I despise Elise (just as much as I despise Princess Sally, which is a lot)

I was being polite and you just go and insult me in the first line of your post.

Also, I grew up with the Genesis Sonic games, and I loved those games, and still do, just not as much as Sonic Adventure 1+2 and Heroes.

Plus, so what if Silver has ONLY ONE thing in common with another character, he's oneof the most original Sonic characters compared to other Sonic characters. He's a hell of a lot better tham those useless, crappy SatAM characters mostly everyone seems to worship, since he can actually DO something.

Not to mention, games nowadays need to have a good story, gameplay alone won't sell a game. Would you play a game with decent controls, but the worst plot in history? <_<|...|.
And another thing, Sonic 06's story wasn't even close to a Mario game, once you know what's really going on.

And the voice acting only got bad when they changed the voice actors (which I say is the BIGGEST mistake Sonic team ever made), Sonic Adventure 1+2 and Heroes had great voice acting. And the 2D games had good music, but the 3D games had better music.

Next time, don't insult someone for expressing an opinion.  :|

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »
When did i insult you? Calling you a "Sonicteam Fanboy" is an insult?
Sonic's storyline was ripped off Mario.
Silver's storyline has been done before.
Shadow's um..i wouldn't call this a storyline.

Sat AM is not canon, don't compare Silver with those characters.

"Would you play a game with decent controls, but the worst plot in history?"
Ive played alot of games, with bad storylines.

"And the voice acting only got bad when they changed the voice actors (which I say is the BIGGEST mistake Sonic team ever made), Sonic Adventure 1+2 and Heroes had great voice acting. And the 2D games had good music, but the 3D games had better music."
No. The lip synch is horrible, Sonic Adventure 1+2 had bad voice acting, and really "original lines". :|

"3D Sonic Games have better music"
WOW. just wow.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:47:54 PM by RiceTheZilla »

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Initiate
  • "Know my power!"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »
When did i insult you? Calling you a "Sonicteam Fanboy" is an insult?
Sonic's storyline was ripped off Mario.
Silver's storyline has been done before.
Shadow's um..i wouldn't call this a storyline.

Sat AM is not canon, don't compare Silver with those characters.
Of course now is "Next Gen".

"Would you play a game with decent controls, but the worst plot in history?"
Ive played alot of games, with bad storylines.

"And the voice acting only got bad when they changed the voice actors (which I say is the BIGGEST mistake Sonic team ever made), Sonic Adventure 1+2 and Heroes had great voice acting. And the 2D games had good music, but the 3D games had better music."
No. The lip synch is horrible, Sonic Adventure 1+2 had bad voice acting, and really "original lines". :|

"3D Sonic Games have better music"
WOW. just wow.

Now that definitely sounded like one big insult. Once again, you make it seem like I'm an idiot because I have an opinion. So I like the 3D games better, big deal? I was just saying why, and you made a big thing out of it.

The lipsynching is hardly an issue at all, since the characters were speaking JAPANESE, so they did their best to match the original lines, being 1 or 2 words off isn't the end of the world. And the voices were great.

Also, EVERYTHING has been done before at some point, that can't be helped, so that isn't a factor. There are tons of games involving saving a princess  <_<|...|

And yes, to me, the 3D Sonic games have better music that doesn't get annoying after the 10th time.

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
I don't see how anything, in that post could be considered an insult.
"There are tons of games involving saving a princess"
Yeah, that is why it's unoriginal.

"The lipsynching is hardly an issue at all, since the characters were speaking JAPANESE, so they did their best to match the original lines, being 1 or 2 words off isn't the end of the world. And the voices were great."
That isn't an excuse, i know dubbed games that don't have crappy lip synch. :|

"And yes, to me, the 3D Sonic games have better music that doesn't get annoying after the 10th time."
<_<|...| Whatever, everyone has their own opinion i guess.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 07:01:29 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »
You can't even really blam Sonic Team for Sonic 06". Since Sonic Adventure 2, all of sonic's games have been made by Sega Studio USA or former members of UGA (Space Channel 5, Rez). Sonic 06' was they're first sonic game since Sonic Adventure 1.
They know they did wrong, that's why Unleashed seems to be going back to it's roots gameplay-wise.

It's like Mega Man X7. Capcom knew they f***ed up, so Mega Man X8 took everything that was good about the X-series, and just made the models and the enviroment 3D and that game whooped all kinds of @$$. I think Sonic Team will make up for thier mistake.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:25:20 PM by G Lux »
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Initiate
  • "Know my power!"
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
@ RiceTheZilla: That was a bit more polite, thank you.

And you're right, everyone has their own opinion. In your opinion, all of the 3D Sonic games suck, and in my opinion, all of the Genesis games are boring and are not as fun as they used to be. I will respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.  ^-^

Hopefully, Sonic Unleashed will be a mix of 2D and 3D (which it seems to be), to make both sides happy.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »
Oh and yeah, I like to rock all the balls to sonic music, is that so wrong? "All of me", "His World", "Seven Ring in Hand", "The Chosen One", "All Hail Shadow", "Almost Dead", "Live & Learn", "What I'm Made Of", "Catch Me If You Can", good stuff man, good stuff.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline Sir Meta Knight

• Initiate
  • "Know my power!"
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
Oh and yeah, I like to rock all the balls to sonic music, is that so wrong? "All of me", "His World", "Seven Ring in Hand", "The Chosen One", "All Hail Shadow", "Almost Dead", "Live & Learn", "What I'm Made Of", "Catch Me If You Can", good stuff man, good stuff.

I agree!  :thumbsup:

Live and Learn FTW!

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
Here's another little nugget for you.

Sonic Advance: Nope, not Sonic Team. Dimps, a Japanese development team made it.

Sonic Rivals: Nope, not Sonic Team, Backbone Entertainment, a Canadian development team. Canadian! (Gold-platted DOG!)

Hell, almost half of Sonic Team are from Sammy who got moved into the team after the Sega-Sammy merger, Rookies at the Sonic franchise. Does it make more sense now why Sonic 06' is the way it is, why is even just called Sonic the Hedgehog?
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
Creator of the game really doesn't matter. It's still Sonic.
Live & Learn is probably the only theme i like in 3D Sonic games, the rest aren't memorable.

Maybe because it was made to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also heres the reason why it sucked.

Yojiro Ogawa:
The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
Creator of the game really doesn't matter. It's still Sonic.
Live & Learn is probably the only theme i like in 3D Sonic games, the rest aren't memorable.

Maybe because it was made to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also heres the reason why it sucked.

Yojiro Ogawa:
The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge.

A song doesn't have to be memorable to still be good. I'm sure you've heard plenty of good songs in your life that when I DO hear them, you say to yourself, "Good song", and then move on. And I never said it wasn't still Sonic. I just said Sonic Team hasn't done a Sonic game in a while. Also, the creator does matter where quality is conserned because all it takes is a bad game to blam a entire franchise, and well, Sonic hasn't been right since Sonic Team left the scene.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 02:27:25 PM by G Lux »
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
Yeah, BUT Sonic TH Series has alot of memorable music, good enough for me to add into M.U.G.E.N. ^-^
I just remembered, Sonic Adventure 2 had the best soundtrack(in 3D Sonic games). ;D
Also about Sonic Team you're wrong, it may not be the same people, but it's the same team.

Games developed by Sonic Team:
Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit) (1991)
Ristar (16-bit) (1995)
Nights into Dreams... (1996)
Christmas Nights (1996)
Burning Rangers (1998)
Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (1999/2003)
ChuChu Rocket! (1999/2000)
Samba de Amigo (1999-arcade version; 2000-console versions)
Samba de Amigo Ver.2000 (2000-Japan)
Phantasy Star Online (2000)
Sonic Pinball Party (2002) <-
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (2003)
Puyo Pop Fever (2003-arcade version; 2004-console versions)
Astro Boy (2004)
Sega SuperStars (2004)
Puyo Pop Fever 2 (2005)
Phantasy Star Universe (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) <- :-&
Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007)
Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary (2007)
Phantasy Star Portable (2008)

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
Ok, taking strictly Sonic games (not apparences) into account, look at the track record:

Sonic Team: Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Pinball Party (no Sonic CD)
New Sonic Team: Sonic 06', Sonic & the Secret Rings

Every other game Sonic game is not them, the all the game gear games, the puzzle games, Spinball, CD, Chaotix, Advance, Rush, Rivals, Riders, Sonic R, 3D Blast, Fighters, SegaSonic the Arcade, Shuffle, Heroes, Shadow, all of it.
And with the expcetion of the Advance, Rush & CD series, every other game just doesn't have it where it counts most.

Sonic has had so many third-party developers in his life that it's brought his franchise to where it stands today. Traveller's Tales, Aspcet, Backbone, Sega-AM2, Sega Studios USA, UGA development, Polygames, Compile, JSH, it's like he got orphened and just bounced around from one family to another. Granted Mario's got some bad games, but never has he gotten this kind of treatment.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 02:37:28 PM by G Lux »
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Wrong again, Sonic TH 2&3, was made by Sonic Team in collaboration with Sega Technical Institute.

New Sonic Team created Sonic Adventure 2, and Shadow TH also.

Games developed in co-operation with Sonic Team
Sonic The Fighters (Arcade) (1996)
Sonic 3D Blast (1996)
Sonic R (1997) Sonic Shuffle (2000)
Virtua Striker 3 (2001)
Virtua Striker 3 Version 2002 (2002)

Sonic The Hedgehog was not created by the New Sonic Team, SEGA would never do that for a 15th anniversary title.

Both Teams are bad.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
Wrong again, Sonic TH 2&3, was made by Sonic Team in collaboration with Sega Technical Institute.

New Sonic Team created Sonic Adventure 2 Also.

Sonic The Hedgehog was not created by the New Sonic Team, SEGA would never do that for a 15th anniversary title.

Collaborated, but still there.

Sonic Adventure 2 was Sonic Team USA, now known as Sega Studios USA, which is why I didn't include it.

And do you honestly think they be able to bring back the original Sonic Team for that game? Considering it was after the merger, and seeing as how Sonic's creator didn't even work on it, because he's been busy with the new independant development team Sega gave him?

If so, you have more faith in a game company then I'd ever give anyone credit for.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline RiceTheZilla

• Initiate
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Okay, i understand, BUT, Sonic Team had a good team(some of the original creatos) for Sonic & the Secret of the Rings, and that game rivals Sonic TH(06).

It seems Sonic Team creates good games, when they are in collaboration.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar