collapse

Author Topic: Capcom could be taken over?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Afterthought

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 05, 2024, 10:10:25 AM
    • Email
Re: Capcom could be taken over?
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
If Nintendo or any company for that matter bought Capcom, wouldn't Capcom still exist, but then be under the Nintendo/Whoever umbrella? Like when Microsoft bought Rare. Rare still exists but they make games for Microsoft.

If not and Nintendo were to buy Capcom, all of Capcom's fighting games could be developed by a different developer. For instance, Microsoft owns Rare's Killer Instinct IP, and had Double Helix Games develop the new KI game last year.

Also you have to consider the business aspect of the situation too. If say Nintendo bought out Capcom and developed the game as well, Nintendo could very well hire some of the Capcom developers that may be put out of work from Capcom being bought out. That's the saddest part of this situation, many people will likely be laid off from this.

Even if Nintendo bought out Capcom and then developed on their own without Capcom developers, wouldn't Nintendo have ownership of the Street Fighter system(s) Capcom developed for their games? I'm sure Nintendo could do fine with a fighting game IP.
Saying they wouldn't be able to make a good fighting game is kind of a slap in the face. I mean, look at their own IP's; Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. These are all considered well made, high caliber properties. Don't you think if they developed a Capcom property, they would give it the same treatment as their own?

On a side note, I think it would be really cool if the next Street Fighter game had the same visual style as Ni no Kuni. They could retain the obligatory 3D character models as all modern fighters have, but give it a 2D anime look thus the characters could look like in the Street Fighter Alpha anime movie. Not saying Level-5 and Studio Ghibli have to be involved, just saying I would totally dig that art style... Just saying... :P

The most sense made in this topic.

Yeah, I forget this is the internet. Rational thought doesn't exist here.

THIS

Honestly, I don't care what happens to Capcom's other properties, the only ones that interest me are Megaman and Street Fighter. If anyone deserves to DEVELOP Megaman games, it's Nintendo, they could do it some justice in my opinion. If not, as long as they PUBLISH it and the DEVELOPER does a good job, hey, new Megaman, am I right?

Now, with Street Fighter, I really like the older games anyway. Alpha is great, III is great. So whoever gets the rights to the series now would have to do a whole lot to impress me, because at this point I really don't care if new games get made. I do wanna see a new Darkstalkers though.

All the other properties I could care less about. Whoever makes them makes them. If no new games get made for whatever property, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Just give me new Megaman. Like, jeez.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:24:08 PM by DEMONKAI »

Offline PR_1030

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 17, 2016, 11:45:23 AM
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
Hmmm...
A good revival of the classic Mega Man would be nice. It could be like "New Super Mario Bros.", only Mega Man would be revived. Same gameplay, new graphics, etc. "All-New Mega Man" for the Wii U...
Also, I would have to agree with Twinimage. Nintendo's major IPs have had a lot of effort put into them. Why not give them a chance with Street Fighter? I always thought of Street Fighter as a lighter-toned game (compared to Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, Injustice, etc.), which is up Nintendo's alley.

Offline Kriven

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 04, 2021, 04:30:43 PM
  • Rock on, Mario!
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:11 AM »
Since this is a share trade where a single company (let's use Nintendo as the example) has the opportunity to buy controlling interest in the company. This does not mean that they are the sole owners of the company, nor does it mean they own that company's intellectual properties. It would mean that they own 51 (or more) percent of the company's shares. This means they have the biggest voice when it comes to voting on how that compay should proceed, and technically they can't lose, but they do not actually "own" that company or its assets, though it would make it much easier to facilitate the use and allocation of such.

Nintendo would have some say in what is developed and what is published and how polished it should be, just as they did with RareWare and just as they do with HAL, Game Freak, and Intelligent Systems. Capcom is likely to keep their software development teams on staff and will continue utilizing those teams to develop the projects which they would show to their shareholders (in this instance, Nintendo and a few smaller voices). There is the possibility of other studios gaining access to Capcom properties through Nintendo, but all three parties would have to reach an agreement for this to happen (Nintendo would have to agree to develop the game, HAL [for example] would have to agree to develop the game, Capcom would have to agree to lease their intellectual property to HAL). Any one of those three parties are free to decline the offer, though such an instance is unlikely and has a high probability of being vetoed by the shareholders.

The most likely scenario is this one:

Capcom's internal teams would continue to develop their franchises in much the same way they always have, with pressures from Nintendo to maintain a high level of quality and to change their business practices. In particular, we would see much less locked disc content and dependence on DLC.

Capcom's releases would become Nintendo-exclusives. There is no realistic chance of Nintendo allowing a second-party developer to release a title on a competing service (prior contractual obligations notwithstanding).

Nintendo would most likely take over Capcom's Virtual Console distribution. Take that for what you will.

There would be a high chance of Wii U ports of current and last-generation Capcom games, such as RE5.

There would be a greater chance of Capcom characters appearing in Super Smash Bros. come the next iteration of the franchise.

There would be a mild chance of Capcom's contracts with other companies (such as Archie Comics) being allowed to expire.

There would be a slim chance of finally opening the floodgates of the Virtual Console, emulating competing consoles of past generations. By this I mean emulating the original PlayStation or Microsoft DOS to properly release Capcom's library.

There would be a high probability of Capcom having the opportunity to develop games in other Nintendo franchises. I fail to see this as a bad thing.

Just to clear up confusion on how exactly this would play out legally.

tl;dr: Capcom would still own their IPs, but Nintendo gets to tell them how to utilize them.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar