collapse

Author Topic: I think Capcom wants to destroy Darkstalkers too...  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 04:22:53 PM
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
I think Capcom wants to destroy Darkstalkers too...
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »
http://www.screwattack.com/news/capcom-might-have-misread-interest-darkstalkers

With Capcom giving their DarkStalkers franchise a second chance with the recent Darkstalkers Resurrection, many thought this would finally make the publisher bring back the beloved fighting series. However, with almost little to no advertising for the remake, Capcom has revealed Resurrection didn’t meet their sales expectations.

Despite the HD collection making the bestseller list for the US PlayStation Store, Capcom’s Christian Svensson revealed on the Capcom Unity forums it wasn’t high enough to deem it successful. Svensson said,

“Sadly, it’s not as high on that list as it really needs to be to be successful”
But the publisher hasn’t lost all hope just yet, as Svensson continued on to say, “We’re working on promotions and the like to improve the situation. We’ve not given up.”

However, the senior Vice President  then added,

“I’m disappointed in the opening sales response relative to any other fighting title we’ve put out on the same platforms given the frequency and urgency of requests we’ve had here over the last several years and the quality of the execution. It is the most fully featured and probably best project of this type we’ve done.”
And finally, Svensson concluded his post by not blaming the fans who bought the game, but himself for “misreading” the overall interest in the Darkstalkers franchise.

“And before people jump to the wrong conclusions, I'm not blaming fans who did buy it and supported the brand. I'm very thankful for those guys (thank you, to all of you). I'm more disappointed by my misread of the information in this particular case.”
Am I the only one who thinks that the unpopularity of Darkstalkers is Capcom's fault?

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
Re: I think Capcom wants to destroy Darkstalkers too...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
... at least we have Ducktales

Offline C.R.O.M. - Shadaloo Lives!

• Winner of Rounds 1, 5, & 13 in Last Person to Post Wins!, SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #61 Winner, and Shadaloo Office Worker
  • Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 13, 2023, 03:37:34 PM
  • Proud member of C.R.O.M. (Shadaloo Lives!)
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
Well maybe if you MADE A NEW GAME you would make more money from the franchise. Count yourselves lucky you bastards. The fact that a reselling of a game made the best sellers list is a HUGE accomplishment.

I know I'm a bit late for the party, but I'm officially done with Capcom until the stop effing up. lol

Offline C.M.G

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 16, 2016, 08:41:42 AM
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »
CAPCOM getting lazy or just cares in making money? Oh well business is business....

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 09, 2024, 11:15:33 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »
I say its Crapcom fault. The Fans showed interest in a NEW game. Not and old rebuilt of something i been playing for years. Im a huge DS fan but me and many others i believe are not going to buy something they already own.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:37 AM »
Well, it seems that I'm not the only one that thinks its Capcom's fault. C'mon, a new fighting game would make everyone turn its attention to Darkstalkers, how can't Capcom see that?

Oh my poor dear Morrigan, will I only see you again in another crossover?

Offline G.P.O.A - GatlingPunchRalf

• Idea and Advice
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 23, 2013, 07:31:01 AM
  • IMT's Unofficial Advisor and Brainstormer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »
Oh hey, Capcom ruined something. What a turn of events!

Sprite Contest Organizer and Beloved Personality

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:44:45 AM »
@ MacaulynGameLover - Oh sure, only thing of the one Darkstalker who still gets to appear in crossovers. Think of the Darkstalkers who don't even have that much, like BB Hood and Jon Talbain

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:36:48 AM »
@ MacaulynGameLover - Oh sure, only thing of the one Darkstalker who still gets to appear in crossovers. Think of the Darkstalkers who don't even have that much, like BB Hood and Jon Talbain
Hey, BB Hood appeared in MvC2. Anyway, you're right, Darkstalkers have an amazing collection of characters, Capcom would do well to make another game for the franchise, but we can't expect everyone to appear in the VS series.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 07:01:29 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
I know I'm a bit late for the party, but I'm officially done with Capcom until the stop effing up. lol

Heh, took you long enough. lol

... at least we have Ducktales

Yep, WayForward knows what they're doing so I'm buckle in once, JUST THIS ONCE, for DuckTales.

Oh hey, Capcom ruined something. What a turn of events!

lol, said no one ever.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
Well maybe if you MADE A NEW GAME you would make more money from the franchise.

I second that. I really want a new game from that series, we don't want a so-called HD sprites one we want a new game. DS have some nice chars, could turn into a great new game.

And I am waiting for someone to jump here and screams something like "...like they did with Megaman". And too bad I don't have a gunshot here.

edit:
Oh my poor dear Morrigan, will I only see you again in another crossover?
That is the question. DS is NOT only Morrigan. They have way better characters.

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
That is the question. DS is NOT only Morrigan. They have way better characters.
Morrigan was popular enough to steal Demitri's role as a protagonist, and she is MY favourite character. Its not like I don't care about the other characters, its just to say that she should get her protagonist role back.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
And I am waiting for someone to jump here and screams something like "...like they did with Megaman". And too bad I don't have a gunshot here.

O, I think we're past this now. Basically, Capcom has just told us they have no faith in any of their classic franchises anymore outside of Resident Evil, which even their fans are going tired of because the games have lost what made the game fun and engaging to play in the first place.

The fact that "Remember Me" is going to be a completely NEW IP from them in a Triple A setting is mind-boggling to me and if it fails to sell (with I highly believe it will because the main character is a female and sadly games with female leads haven't sold well since Beyond Good and Evil 10 years ago), Capcom is more than likely going to die.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
Well, it's not like Capcom is the only Japanese developer doing this kind of shady business.

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
O, I think we're past this now. Basically, Capcom has just told us they have no faith in any of their classic franchises anymore outside of Resident Evil, which even their fans are going tired of because the games have lost what made the game fun and engaging to play in the first place.

The fact that "Remember Me" is going to be a completely NEW IP from them in a Triple A setting is mind-boggling to me and if it fails to sell (with I highly believe it will because the main character is a female and sadly games with female leads haven't sold well since Beyond Good and Evil 10 years ago), Capcom is more than likely going to die.
Hey, but is not like the female lead is Capcom's fault, after all, Demitri was the original protagonist, Morrigan just kicked his butt from the top. Anyway, its not like the female leads doesn't sell well, its because Capcom doesn't care a f**k for their franchises.

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
Except for Street Fighter  (:|

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
Except for Street Fighter  (:|
Yeah, but Street Fighter doesn't have only a female on the lead. Actually Ryu is the one who has been leading the franchise while Chun-Li is probably the most popular female character from the gaming history, so it would be a great error to remove her.

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
so what's the argument about?

Morrigan being the main character? I thought Morrigan and Donovan were the main characters?

As far as I know Dimitri is an antagonist? anyway, macaulyn, of all the people to complain about, Morrigan? I mean come on, she gets in all the cross overs, what about the other great characters like Jon Talbain, Jedah and lord Raptor? they're popular also, but they don't get into ANYTHING. I think the problem is that Capcom never represents the truly great character designs outside of Morrigan and Felicia, (an appearently Hsien-ko) so most people only ever know about them from darkstalkers because Capcom never puts anyone else in crossovers.

I would be so pumped if Jedah got into another game, but we all know that will never happen.

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
That's partially the argument.

But the main thing is we're miffed at Capcom's hatred for any franchise that isn't Street Fighter

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
so what's the argument about?

Morrigan being the main character? I thought Morrigan and Donovan were the main characters?

As far as I know Dimitri is an antagonist? anyway, macaulyn, of all the people to complain about, Morrigan? I mean come on, she gets in all the cross overs, what about the other great characters like Jon Talbain, Jedah and lord Raptor? they're popular also, but they don't get into ANYTHING. I think the problem is that Capcom never represents the truly great character designs outside of Morrigan and Felicia, (an appearently Hsien-ko) so most people only ever know about them from darkstalkers because Capcom never puts anyone else in crossovers.

I would be so pumped if Jedah got into another game, but we all know that will never happen.
Donovan is important, but Morrigan is the protagonist.

Also, Demitri was going to be the protagonist, but Morrigan got more populat than him and was given this role. I don't care what you say, but yes, I complain about Morrigan, because she needs compilations of Capcom characters to appear somewhere, instead of having her own role on her own franchise. I also said that I like the other chars but Morrigan is my favourite, you should learn to respect the others' opinion a little more before criticizing.

For me, Jedah was the most crappy villain of the game. I mean, an Evil Messiah? How original is that? I just love to remember that Morrigan killed him.

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
But the main thing is we're miffed at Capcom's hatred for any franchise that isn't Street Fighter
Yeah, Street Fighter is a very good franchise, but Capcom just screw up everything else, just because of its success? This isn't good, it shouldn't happen, they killed a classic such as Megaman and want to do it with all the other games now?

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
Whip's argument is that Morrigan doesn't really deserve that kind of complaining since she's at least guaranteed to appear in every Capcom crossover; the other Darkstalkers don't get that privilege. All they have are the DS games, whereas Morrigan and Felicia have the DS games plus the crossovers and whatnot. There's nothing wrong with giving the other Darkstalkers some screentime instead of Morrigan. It's not a sacred law for her to be the lone DS rep.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
The main problem with Capcom right now is that they have way too much expectation with their products nowadays. The expected Dragon's Dogma to sell something like 3mil. units new, an original IP that damn near no one knew about.

It's happening to a lot of game companies now. EA made I couldn't tell you how much money last year and yet their CEO stepped down because they weren't in their projected profit margin.

The people are starting to wait up, just look at this coming console generation. Nintendo fanatics aren't happy with the fact that Nintendo even made a new console, let alone the fact that its decent. Sony fanboys aren't impressed with the specs for the PS4 like they were with the last two consoles, and XBox fans are just waiting to jump ship if they say the Nextbox 720 needs constant online.

The next big gaming market crash is coming people, I'm saying it now, so don't be surprised when it happens.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
Modern gaming sucks

LONG LIVE THE N64!  :w00t:

Offline dan_aracena

• Initiate
  • Last Login:November 21, 2015, 05:38:03 PM
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I think Morrigan's and Felicia's popularity its more sort of a Design thing .... Just go to a Comic-Con or Anime-Con, or Gamer-Con .... There'll be a some girls cosplaying Morrigan and Felicia (some of them very hot in deed .. but thats other subject  >:-(-| ) and those girls doesnt even played any Darkstalkers games ..... they just love the outfit ...

Any way, i DO think capcom must reboot this franchise ... and give it a MORE  dark and twisted atmosphere, i think if Capcom does it well, in Darkstalkers have the key to interest the more bizarre fighting gamers (that now are still enjoing Mortal Kombat) ...

(and also improve the look of some chars, because some of them like the girls, Talbain or Jedah, are awesome .... but others like Raptor, Sasquatch or even Demitri as a lot to improve, visually speaking)

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar