collapse

Author Topic: The Fighting Game Community  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
The Fighting Game Community
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
Today Max posted a video about a topic I feel really strongly about. Please leave you feedback on the matter.

Offline Space (DCL)

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 10:32:37 AM
  • If you see this, I'm alive!
Re: The Fighting Game Community
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
I left my feedback in his video...
(click to show/hide)
zzz...I'm top tier...screw you Doom and Wesker...zzz

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
as a fighting gamer of the 80's i have to say max hits alot of great points.  I can remember standing in long lines to play Karate Champ and spend like 30 bucks in quarters to get good at it to take down the local dudes who were great at it.  Indeed there was a sure fire "Prove Yourself" ideaology in place and some followed that code strictly. No one taught you, you just had to spend your money and practice.  Once you got good at beating players randomly then you challenged guys that were better at it. sometimes you would score a cool win, they would be pissed and get all huffy about it but in the end... i won you lost...even tho i wasnt as good as that guy was i scored wins.

you get a sorta rep like that especially if you win heavy matches that other players were using skills the others didnt.  Today's fighting gamers got it hard and easy at the same time. Back in the day , we had rules , like no corner smashing, no spamming crazy and such. when you did such things, no one would play you pretty much. all the noobs stuff came about far later but Scrubs were people who just put a quarter in to play and didnt know how to play and didnt care to learn. just play it ,. lose and walk off. thats it. or the scrubs were the spammers, the corner smashers and such. lol. fun times.

Me personally, i dont care much for people with names in the FGC tourney circuits. too old to care and doesnt do anything for me to know them. just cool to see there are good players on any level. thats pretty much it. :thumbsup:

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »
@lando:

Yeh the scrubs were definitely the cheap corner busters bro. But for me it made me play slicker to not get caught up in most of that cheap sh*t. it made me play a bit more cerebral. But then again back then i had the patience for that kind of crap lol I can go all day enduring the cheap sh*t and loved finding was to counter it and stay away from it when i was a kid but now? eh i dont even care to win once it starts smh lol

I love a good challenge though and straight up....

@ Acey and the video:

To be straight to the point i dont think hes killing the FGC. It just sounds silly to me honestly :-??. Maybe im reading the people against his video wrong but im guessing the oldschool heads like me of that back in the day FG era are angry hes sharing all the tips n tricks of the fighting games and how to win. Hit boxes, juggles, glitches, etc etc. Exposing everything. He isnt doing anything but doing the same thing EGM or Game pro would do for a fighting game except its free and hes on youtube. Folks maybe upset because we had to learn the hard way at the time.

Its good that hes around because hes trying to keep the fighting game scene alive in his own way. No one should be upset with him. If You are a real pro you would welcome all "noobs" to whip on. Back then thats how it was. You come in there (the arcade) thinking cuz you read a few strategy guides back to front you gonna whip everybody you found out very quick you were wrong! Youd find yourself beatin bad by the next kid who was great or shooled by a 9 yr old standing on a crate bussin yo @ss in a fighting game you claimed youre king in. Trust me ive seen that sh*t happen with my younger cousin who did that to a grown man and a teenager who thought they were nice in Mortal Kombat when it came out. He was 9 at the time. And yes he went to a gifted school. The dudes were good but my lil cuz was real good at it.

Folks forget (even the ones my age) it doesnt matter what you know because you can still get schooled some new sh*t. Its until you get on that joy pad or arcade stick and go toe to toe with someone that just maybe better than you. You lose, you learn and you get better if you want to win that next time. Miles is just making it a lil easier for the new gen FG fans in ways we didnt have back then. Thats all^^ :-??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:35:55 AM by DeMoNk@I »
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Kriven

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 04, 2021, 04:30:43 PM
  • Rock on, Mario!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
I don't understand this "Scrubs" term... why is it so wrong to plop a couple quarters in a machine and get your butt kicked. So the guy wanted to d*** around with a video game for a bit... big deal?

Offline DEMONKAI

• Contributor
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:27:40 AM »
I don't understand this "Scrubs" term...

It means you suck at the sport or game you are playing. You have no skills. Youre corney

HAIL CROM!!

Offline DanOwnsall112

• Suporter of Mugen Evolution
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2016, 11:19:37 PM
  • OYAJI!!!!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:31:21 AM »
All I have to say is people need to see that its just a game, nothing more, nothing less.

"DAN NEVER DIES, HE JUST STOPS LIVING FOR A DAY!" - GatlingPunchRalf

Offline Theendgamelv3

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:August 21, 2016, 08:15:31 AM
  • Get the hell out of my way!
    • San Diego Animanga
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »
Uh, this kind of mentality is all over the gaming community in general. Hearing this doesn't surprise me. MMOs to sports games have players like this and it is rather sad.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Contributor
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 01:24:04 AM »
Uh, this kind of mentality is all over the gaming community in general. Hearing this doesn't surprise me. MMOs to sports games have players like this and it is rather sad.

yeh true. This dude of AOS community was saying that same thing in a youtube video response to that video

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
I concure with Demonkai. Honestly what I feel it comes down to is that the less control you have over your own life, the great the need you have to control your VG environment, which means trying to put youself over someone else bases on "skills" which is really nothing more than time + attention.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »
Yeaj I think myself that max is doing something pretty cool. Like my son like fighting games and got a bit better watching some of max videos. He finally beat me in a mvc3 match. Lol.  I neber really tried any of the stuff at first from the vids but after a ton if beatings by glux, whiplas, silva and sic I watched a couple and learned somethings. Even tho I lost to glux and acey I felt good that I got to pull off some stuff I watvhed and mixedy own in it. It was fun and because of acey I actually went back to start learning to use spiderman for a change mixed with x23 &wolverine. Max keep doing what your doing.

Offline Slivern

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 05:51:39 PM
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
This video pretty much convinced me into subscribing, so that's great. Also, having a training mode is something I now criticize because it isn't a "training mode", you only had one or a few characters to fight against, so If there is anything I would improve upon today's fighting games, it's the fact that there needs to be a proper dummy to fight against. I would love it If fighting games had a dummy where you could let it change its fighting styles in an options menu so you could try practicing against a specific character's moves that tend to throw you off guard. And If there is a fighting game that has something like then, then there needs to be more fighting games with it. Not to mention a "mock-match" where you could train against the dummy in a simulated match with conditions that can be set yourself (i.e. 3-to-5 rounds, difficulty, handicap, etc, but also with setting up a list of combos for the dummy to use so that you could further train yourself to do any counters, parries, evasions, and much more.) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL.

The way you had to learn to play fighting games back then sounded much better than today even though you had to spend money for it. And seriously, I do not like today's console controllers; PS3 controllers are also something that I would have expected to get better, and over the years, NOTHING about it has changed except the size. :D

I would rather play with an arcade stick than with the bone-wrecking control stick and the skin-tearing directional pad of a PS3 controller. I hurt my thumbs trying to practice with Kyo in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum with the D-Pad, and I can't pull any of Lars's commands right with the control stick in Tekken 6, and my bones couldn't tolerate it because the control stick was BELOW the d-pad. Sony...are you kidding me!?!?! My thumbs are so small! o.O#

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
ya know what silvern... i rarely find myself these days in games like mvc3 and 2d fighting games going into those training modes . barely. i am more to frequent the 3d fighting games ones. mostly Virtua Fighter 5 or basically the whole series. very in depth.  I think the guy in that vid that max showed is very hurt because if he/she was from the era i am from then yeah , these young generation is getting taught the tricks straight up via youtube and just repeat them till mastered.  heck i have seen a ton of matches with them just winning with the same combo chain. lol. But still its great to see its getting folks into fighting games to learn. doesnt matter to me that i had to spend literally hundreds of dollars in quarters to learn to play MK, Street fighters 2 and all its incarnatiuons, mvc 1 and 2  , marvel super heroes and all those 2d games that packed crowds in the arcades on a friday and saturday night. it was all worth it.

Just because max vids show ways to to do things doesnt mean you will always win doing that stuff. its how you use what you have learned. I actually favor the Mugen fighting game community of folks rather than the random guys. i have beat and been beaten by some cool guys i call good friends. i have learned as well stuff that i never done but seen done with dan from sff4 by dansownsall and gatlinpunch ralph.  best Dan fights i seen from them 2.  Whiplash just punished me in sf x tekken...i owe you dude!  :D me and Kai have some very good battles and i learn new stuff watching what they do as well. so its not just Max vids you can learn stuff but as well the people who have learned the game and play in their own way using the characters very welll. much respects to all i have played.

(click to show/hide)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
I think Max is doing some nice for the fighting community. Nothing wrong with lending a helping hand.

I think older (or rather, "hardcore") gamers are under the impression that only their kind should play a fighting game and if you even think of say bringing your uncle into the game you should be shot on site.

Offline Slivern

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 05:51:39 PM
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »
You're right on Lando. When I play Tekken and go into training mode, it's specifically only to remember as much of the commands I can remember as well as the ones I need so that I could use those commands and be proficient in its use outside training mode. Recently, I've been trying to be proficient with Lars and all I've been doing is formulating my own combos. Other than that, I have no other use for it, and once I'm done, I only go to training mode just for fun.

If I want to train against CPUs, I would go into survival mode so that I wouldn't affect my status in any way, and this comes close to what I'd like to see in fighting games. Due to my bad memory however, I can't remember most of the moves I use, so I have a lot of practicing to do. But that's a good thing because whatever moves I don't remember, I'll eventually find and I'll be able to use them next time I try to do a combo. And believe it or not, I have NEVER looked at tips videos when I was mastering my skills at the time I was a beginner Lee player. I had to be self taught in order to become better, and the people I fight online show me where I need to improve on for every defeat I go through. I never really relied on anything to get better, but I still suck at fighting games. King and Armor King kick players also kick my butt online too. Thinking about this, I realize also that the way I've been doing things lately seem similar to the way you guys have been doing it back then. But I like to mix things up in a match since I don't like repetitive game play and it makes me seem predictable. And although I've taken a look at a few lists of combos online, I've never really used them at all. My reason being because I can't read them. I never knew what an instant shining wizard was at the time either LOL. And that's why I like Max; he makes things more accessible, and because of this vid, he's proven himself to be one of the most classiest fighting gamers out there.

Overall, I try not to rely on anything when I master a character or else I'll be stuck trying to get this thing right when I have better things to do. And since I find Lars to be kind of weak (not as fast as I'd imagine), there are A LOT of things I need to focus on.

And yeah, the MUGEN community is a nice place to be. Over 10 years later, and we're still fresh! :w00t:

Offline C.R.O.M. jodafro619

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:March 11, 2022, 11:46:48 AM
  • LEMME SHO' YA SOMETHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
i remember going through that elitist nonsense in chinatown fair back in the day . i was good and then i learned there the hard way that i wasn't the best lol!! i was just getting good in the sf2 games and i beat a lot of heavy hitters in my hood and gained that status where you walk in the store  and dudes be like, damn dannie can i finish the game , or the famous sf2 cliche, give me a round man!! lol!!

but chinatown fair showed me i was a big fish in a little pond. i was getting my head handed to me for a minute nad then the games at home got better and closer to the real mc coy , so then i got better with learning how to play with everyone!! not just the typical shoto or or charge type , EVERYONE. then i went back and started stretching people out on their backs . i was still an unknown but i made them cower and sweat in that arcade. i tuned out all that pro stuff and i was just playing for fun. not to get into the dramatic nerd stuff that comes with and just play . some people forget that and think their rocky balboa especially online. just keep in your mind you play for fun and don't fall into the hype. at the end of the day like dude said, its just a bunch of guy/girls playing games and if you sought to be the fgc juggernaut , you have no life.

C.R.O.M. handling all the biters!!!

Offline DEMONKAI

• Contributor
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Well said brotha man. definitely CTF was the cookin pot for your @ss to get roasted in a fighting game and a very clear reality check that you wasnt the best in the world. But i still loved those moments when you catch a person in sweet combo with a super in a crazy comeback and the standing crowd goes crazy "OOOOOoooHH! :olol

I experienced that sh*t for the first time way back in the 90s when i was playing KOF 94 (when it first came out) against some older kid who was taking everybody off the machine...he was so heated when i caught him with KIM's last minute move in the air for the win! :D

everybody went crazy and rollin lol

HAIL CROM!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 02, 2024, 09:44:33 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar