collapse

Author Topic: Wonder Woman Coming to TV  (Read 707 times)

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
Wonder Woman Coming to TV
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) — Wonder Woman is still heading to the screen, but instead of coming to a theater near you, the Amazon princess is returning to television.

Warner Bros. Television is developing a modern-day reboot of the classic DC comic book heroine and has lassoed an unlikely talent to potentially write and produce the superhero project: David E. Kelley, the showrunner behind legal dramas such as "Ally McBeal," "Boston Legal" and "The Practice."

The news comes after nearly a decade of attempts by Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver to launch a big-screen version. Actresses ranging from Angelina Jolie to Beyonce Knowles to Megan Fox have thrown their hat in the ring for the starring role at one time or another.

In 2005, Warner Bros. announced Joss Whedon would write and direct the film adaptation. But Whedon said he never ended up being able to finish the draft, and two years later left the project.

"They just didn't like my take," Whedon said at the time. "It's pretty simple." (He is back in the superhero world, though, prepping "The Avengers" for a winter shoot).

Any new "Wonder Woman" won't likely have an easy road to the small screen either.

Though the 1975-79 TV series starring Lynda Carter remains the most memorable version of the character in pop culture, major networks have struggled to make female-driven action series work beyond NBC's "Heroes."

NBC's "Bionic Woman," which also is best known for its 1970s TV version, could haunt attempts to get a series launch, and Fox's "Dollhouse" struggled during its two seasons on Fox.

But if any place exists for a female-driven superhero series, it would be in TV land not film. While movies like "Daredevil" spin-off "Elektra," starring Jennifer Garner, bombed on the big screen, the small screen has been home to hits such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," a character which first failed as a movie, and "Alias," the spy series that starred Garner.

Warner Bros. had no comment.
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/david-e-kelley-bringing-wonder-woman-to-tv--1609

Um.. Wat.? This is such a mistake, especially since they'll eventually be making the JLA movie. So, Batman, two films done, one more on the way. Superman, film after film with this one along with another reboot coming. Hal Jordan's film coming out soon. Oh, and Wonder Woman, a TV show. That's f*cked up IMO.

I hated this line "But if any place exists for a female-driven superhero series, it would be in TV land not film." You can't just give up because others didn't do so well. If you make this a great movie it will work, bottom line. They just need to get someone that isn't overly famous, never seems to work out too well for superhero movies IMO.

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 15, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
    • Email
Re: Wonder Woman Coming to TV
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:52 AM »
Wow.. that really does suck.   I was very much looking forward to an actual movie.   Wonder Woman is a true cool.  She could mop the floor (and has) with Superman and Batman. The character deserves just as much recognition in Hollywood as either Batman or Superman.    I wonder why it's so tough to get this movie made?   Clearly there's not a lack of actresses wanting the role.. so what's the block?    And why?

Offline Scar

• Dragonslayer
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:July 29, 2016, 10:49:53 AM
  • Cobra Mugen Team
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:33:35 AM »
I guess Catwoman had to sink every female comic hero down with her..

I love wonder woman but honestly, who is her counterpart..

I don't know who her main villain is and thats probably why i think she is getting the tv show treatment.

She's gonna end up fighting bank robbers, murderers and rapists..

Then Cancelled..

I mean batman has joker, superman has lex luthor, what does she have?
!!Unite, Mobilize, Destroy!!

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 03:37:31 AM »
Cheetah. Ares.That's all that come to mind/are important.

Offline Scar

• Dragonslayer
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Cobra Mugen Team
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:42:44 AM »
I say make it Wonder Woman vs Xena or Wonder Woman vs Storm and call it a movie!! lol

As long as we get a cool live action WW kicking major butt and busting out the lasso of truth then its all good. lol

Offline C.R.O.M. - ManoloStyle

• Proud MvC3 Pet Owner - Beware my Dog's Bite - Winner of Bonus Round Page 420 LPTPW - Awesome Signatures of my MvC3 Stable Courtesy of TGM - Caution !!! Don't mess with he who wears glasses...
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 01, 2015, 10:02:57 PM
  • Proud Member of C.R.O.M. Visit My YouTube Channel
    • Visit My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 03:44:06 AM »
Give her Circe or Ares. Any villian is cool, as long as you don't give me Cheetah. We need a Wonder Woman movie.  :'(

I think Hollywood's problem is that there is too much fantasy and fiction around Wonder Woman's character. Hollywood always likes to bring our characters as close as they can to reality, which sucks, since they continue to destroy them. Look at the Earth grounded Thor in the new movie and Loki that looks like an idiot. I think we should be thankful that we are at least getting Destroyer on that one...IMO  8=|

Plus, I never hear of them ever getting actual fans to write and make these movies and series. Why get someone like David E. Kelley who's background is legal dramas to write this. He wrote good legal dramas, but should he be writing this? Is Wonder Woman's new enemy the broken justice system? It never makes any sense IMO.  8-}

As it is, I can count the good superhero movies with one hand, and if I get picky with the source, I would have fingers left.  \-/o

Offline Scar

• Dragonslayer
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Cobra Mugen Team
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 03:46:08 AM »
Give her Circe or Ares. Any villian is cool, as long as you don't give me Cheetah. We need a Wonder Woman movie/

I think Hollywood's problem is that there is too much fantasy and fiction around Wonder Woman's character. Hollywood always likes to bring our characters as close as they can to reality, which sucks, since they continue to destroy them. Look at the Earth grounded Thor in the new movie and Loki that looks like an idiot. I think we should be thankful that we are at least getting Destroyer on that one...IMO  8=|

Plus, I never hear of them ever getting actual fans to write and make these movies and series. Why get someone like David E. Kelley who's background is legal dramas to write this. He wrote good legal dramas, but do you get him for this. Is Wonder Woman's new enemy the broken justice system? It never makes any sense IMO.  8-}

As it is, I can count the good superhero movies with one hand, and if I get picky with the source, I would have fingers left.  \-/o

Ditto, its always some lame adaptations...

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:23:59 AM »
Loki that looks like an idiot

did you look at loki's costume before typing this?

• Proud MvC3 Pet Owner - Beware my Dog's Bite - Winner of Bonus Round Page 420 LPTPW - Awesome Signatures of my MvC3 Stable Courtesy of TGM - Caution !!! Don't mess with he who wears glasses...
  • Infinity Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »
did you look at loki's costume before typing this?

Yes, I saw the trailer and he does not look like the crazy “capable of anything” evil god of mischief. Thor doesn’t look that cool either, and I don’t like Anthony Hopkins as Odin. Don’t get me wrong, I love Anthony Hopkins as an actor and love almost all of his movies. Legends of the Fall is one of my favorite movies of all time, but he doesn’t have the all mighty persona to be the father of Olympus. I prefer a voice like the one in the movie Hulk Vs. and a Thor that looks like he can go toe to toe with the Hulk, more like the one in the comics…IMO...they are just attracting the yournger crowed, not the fans...

Tell me if either one of them look as cool as their comic incarnations...

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:09:26 AM »
I was talking about his comic costume but whatever.

Thor looks very similier to ultimate thor. I was assuming that was the look they were going for.

and loki DOES have that helmet. it's in the trailer.

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 05:28:09 AM »
 :) No problem Whiplash. I'm just mad at Hollywood for not doing justice to all the characters I love and grew up with.

I did see Loki with the helmet in the trailer. He still looks like a dweeb... lol

They should have gotten older actors. James Woods would have been perfect for the role of Loki back in the day...  :thumbsup:

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 05:32:56 AM »
:) No problem Whiplash. I'm just mad at Hollywood for not doing justice to all the characters I love and grew up with.

They should have gotten older actors. James Woods would have been perfect for the role of Loki back in the day...  :thumbsup:

I can understand that. I started reading comics about 5 years ago so I'm not very attached. I just thought loki's costume was pretty lame to begin with...

And yeah, older actors would've been the right route to go. I think they went with younger more well known (at least to the audience these movies are made for) actors.

I tend to not judge things until I've seen them myself. now this wonder woman show could be EPIC. If they basiclly translate what happened in the animated movie to this show, it would be absoulutly awsome.

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 05:40:53 AM »
I understand. I grew up with all of these characters since the 80s and have followed them since, so I am dying to see lots of stories I have read come to life. I agree that they should follow on the footsteps of the the Wonder Woman animated movie, but who are we kidding, whomever gets to write it will want to be "original"... o.O#

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal