collapse

Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 05, 2015, 07:56:22 PM
Re: Grand Theft Auto 4 - 7 Days Countdown
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
Good luck with that.. a more reasonable question would be to ask for a discount..

If this game does fail my hopes, then I'll just be selling it for a little lower price to one of my friends, and I'll be getting COD4.

Well it's got a 10 from IGN so chances of it failing are quite low.

Offline Whoblehwah

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:May 23, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
  • Waka waka doo doo yeah!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty much the same old GTA. <_< I only played it for a few minutes though. I'm not really into it much.

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:15 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty much the same old GTA. <_< I only played it for a few minutes though. I'm not really into it much.

More like a true sequel.

I'm not that interested either but will surely rent it once given the chance.
What I love about the other GTAs is the bad stuff, this game's fun factor relies more on the good stuff. ;*))

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• :+:Simply Twist'D:+:
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 30, 2018, 06:11:39 PM
  • ...I spit blood before I speak...
    • -"aPoCaLyPsE's Bio... Enter with Caution..."
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 10:03:18 PM »
I'll be playing GTA 4 later on tonight !  :thumbsup: Can anyone say leaked ?  ;D

I'm gettin it tomorrow morning, lol.

I feel sorry for the industries now a daze... with all the leaks and everthing - music, games, movies, etc. Crazy. So I guess as long as you still pay amish to own a hard copy after the release, theirs no harm in a little pre-emptive gameplay. Can't say I'm not jealous tho.  >:P

:w00t: Three cheers for 21th century technology. :w00t:

-"aPoC."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:19:41 PM by aPoCaLyPsE »

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
  • Last Login:May 02, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »
I have it but it's the real thing, not a pirate copy.  I've only played it for a short time but it's obviously brilliant.  I may as well list a few first impressions!

A few things I have noticed: the camera and controls have changed from previous versions, which is quite hard to get used to at first.  The camera is much looser when driving, which means when you turn a corner you can't see where you're going - you need to use the right stick to control the camera and keep it behind you.  For this reason, X is no longer used to accelerate (it's hard to reach while using the right stick) so you use the trigger buttons (L2 and R2 on the PS3) to accelerate and brake.  So right away it feels different.  Also the driving mechanics are more realistic, you can't just accelerate around corners and expect to take them well, you need to use the brake a lot more in this game.

Hand-to-hand combat is a little trickier to use as well, although I haven't played the missions much, maybe this is something you get training in over time.  I found that you have to stand still in order to punch - if you're moving and try to throw a punch you just do a shove, which is pretty annoying.  You also have a dodge button, which is supposed to let you avoid attacks and disarm someone if they have a weapon, but I have yet to get it to work.

Other little things that have changed - I noticed when you get into a police car Vigilante missions aren't available right away - instead you have access to a police database listing crimes in progress, most wanted lists, etc.  None of this is useable at first, as far as I can tell.  Speaking of police, they're everywhere!  Commit any sort of crime, like randomly punching someone in the street, and more than likely you'll be spotted.  It adds to the feeling that you're in a real city with actions having consequences - another example, I found that if you crash at high speeds you're likely to go flying through the windscreen.  This can lead to some spectacular deaths if you crash on an overpass and go flying over the edge!

Let's see - as I say I haven't had much time to play it, what other random things did I notice... well, car explosions are spectacular!  After they blow up they turn into burning wrecks, very realistic.  All the lighting and weather effects are superb as well.  I have noticed framerate issues when there's a lot going on - no worse than in previous GTAs but it was there.  Doesn't detract from the overall experience though - it's clearly fantastic, and I've hardly started it.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 08:41:38 AM »
I'm liking the feedback to the game.. other than the fact that cops are everywhere.. they should just be at the station, and only some should be outdoors walking and driving around. (Although cops rarely walk.. too much donuts, eh?)

Any news on a pc version, yet?

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
No news on a PC version yet, but surely it's only a matter of time.

The number of cops can be annoying it's true - however I think it's slightly easier to shake them than in previous games.  When they're after you a flashing circle on the radar indicates the area they're searching - if you get in a car and escape that area then they give up.  Also switching cars can throw them off.

Some other little touches I remembered - if you steal a parked car you generally have to break the window and then hotwire it.  Also running in front of cars to stop them will often lead to you being run down - they're not as quick to stop as in previous games.  It makes running across a busy street a bit more hazardous!

Offline DMP

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 18, 2011, 03:49:25 PM
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
I wish i could afford a ps3 so i could get this game  :'(

Offline That Mugen Guy

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:March 27, 2012, 11:40:02 PM
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »
I have it but it's the real thing, not a pirate copy.  I've only played it for a short time but it's obviously brilliant.  I may as well list a few first impressions!

A few things I have noticed: the camera and controls have changed from previous versions, which is quite hard to get used to at first.  The camera is much looser when driving, which means when you turn a corner you can't see where you're going - you need to use the right stick to control the camera and keep it behind you.  For this reason, X is no longer used to accelerate (it's hard to reach while using the right stick) so you use the trigger buttons (L2 and R2 on the PS3) to accelerate and brake.  So right away it feels different.  Also the driving mechanics are more realistic, you can't just accelerate around corners and expect to take them well, you need to use the brake a lot more in this game.

Hand-to-hand combat is a little trickier to use as well, although I haven't played the missions much, maybe this is something you get training in over time.  I found that you have to stand still in order to punch - if you're moving and try to throw a punch you just do a shove, which is pretty annoying.  You also have a dodge button, which is supposed to let you avoid attacks and disarm someone if they have a weapon, but I have yet to get it to work.

Other little things that have changed - I noticed when you get into a police car Vigilante missions aren't available right away - instead you have access to a police database listing crimes in progress, most wanted lists, etc.  None of this is useable at first, as far as I can tell.  Speaking of police, they're everywhere!  Commit any sort of crime, like randomly punching someone in the street, and more than likely you'll be spotted.  It adds to the feeling that you're in a real city with actions having consequences - another example, I found that if you crash at high speeds you're likely to go flying through the windscreen.  This can lead to some spectacular deaths if you crash on an overpass and go flying over the edge!

Let's see - as I say I haven't had much time to play it, what other random things did I notice... well, car explosions are spectacular!  After they blow up they turn into burning wrecks, very realistic.  All the lighting and weather effects are superb as well.  I have noticed framerate issues when there's a lot going on - no worse than in previous GTAs but it was there.  Doesn't detract from the overall experience though - it's clearly fantastic, and I've hardly started it.

damn sick ur lucky, now this really makes me wanna play this game  :O*D

Jesus loves me, he loves me a bunch! Because he always puts Skippy in my lunch!

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »
Quote from: Tunglashor
It adds to the feeling that you're in a real city with actions having consequences - another example, I found that if you crash at high speeds you're likely to go flying through the windscreen.  This can lead to some spectacular deaths if you crash on an overpass and go flying over the edge!

Cool! I'm gonna be killing Niko a lot, I just don't like him don't know why. :P

Plus, In Crackdown, I killed myself more than advance further in the game, Because the character gets into a ragdoll state when blown by an explosion. It's incredibly funny and if that Ragdoll effect is in GTA you bet I'm gonna have fun with it. :DxDie

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
It's incredibly funny and if that Ragdoll effect is in GTA you bet I'm gonna have fun with it. :DxDie

Ha, yes the physics have definitely been overhauled and it leads to lots of fun situations - for example one time I jacked a car and as I drove off the owner held onto the car and got dragged along behind.  He lasted for quite a while before I shook him off, bumping along and reacting realistically to surfaces and the movement of the car.

By the way I had another play and found the hand-to-hand combat works a lot better if you remember to lock onto your target first! You can then block, dodge, kick and punch, and also do basic combos.  It's still a lot harder than in previous games as the enemy AI is better and also enemies can take a lot more hits.  Also you can take damage while you're in a vehicle - cops can shoot you through the windows etc - so if you're under fire then taking refuge in a car won't help you as much as it used to.  I've found myself dying much more often as a result than in any of the previous games.

One more observation - the more cartoonish elements of the game are missing or less obvious - I'm thinking of stuff like health and police bribe pickups.  There's the odd medikit to be found but in general you go eat or sleep to regain health, and you give police the slip instead of picking up icons.  I haven't seen any hidden packages as such but there are collectibles - for example there are 50 (I think) pigeons around the city for you to exterminate.  Hidden stuff in general seems better hidden than ever so I'm sure there's lots I haven't even noticed yet.

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »
It's incredibly funny and if that Ragdoll effect is in GTA you bet I'm gonna have fun with it. :DxDie

Ha, yes the physics have definitely been overhauled and it leads to lots of fun situations - for example one time I jacked a car and as I drove off the owner held onto the car and got dragged along behind.  He lasted for quite a while before I shook him off, bumping along and reacting realistically to surfaces and the movement of the car.

Sounds Good! ;*))

Offline Gaijin

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 19, 2016, 06:01:36 PM
  • Wishing she was real
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
im glad i own a ps3 cuz im gonna buy this game lol YES >:(

SIG BY AKEME & ROSALINA BY LG

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
im glad i own a ps3 cuz im gonna buy this game lol YES >:(
Ditto.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

I don't Always browse Mugen Forums but when i do i browse Infinity. - Anthony

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
Re: Grand Theft Auto 4 - Official Discussion Thread
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »
Yeah! Grand theft Auto 4 is on the selves, too bad I have a early morning job so I didn't pick it up @ Midnight last night, but you best believe I'll be there getting my copy @ 9:59am

Open...open....open....OPEN!!!  ~X(

EDIT: I got it!!! There was such a phat 10am moring line too. Now to fight through the last 8 hours of my workday.

This weekend, it's over! Gametime!

-"aPoC."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:20:39 PM by aPoCaLyPsE »

Offline Gaijin

• Infinity Faithful
  • Wishing she was real
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
im glad i live in a small town where not many ps3 owners are. the shelves are still freakin full to the max lol. i could buy more if i wanted lol then sell it  for 10 dollars more. i dont want to be too pricy about it

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
im glad i live in a small town where not many ps3 owners are. the shelves are still freakin full to the max lol. i could buy more if i wanted lol then sell it  for 10 dollars more. i dont want to be too pricy about it

Thats would be tight if you were able to get a couple extra copies and leave them unopened, and got them autographed by the Rockstar Development team THEN placed them on Ebay.

Cha-Ching!

>:-(-|: 3 and a half more hours to go before GAMETIME!

-"aPoC."

Offline Gaijin

• Infinity Faithful
  • Wishing she was real
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
i just bought my copy today and the shelves are still full lol. hey i could buy extra ones for those of u who dont have it then sell it to u for the same price i bought it for. no gimmick  :|. im being totally serious when i say this ppl. and no i wont keep your money and it will be unopened. just let me know sumthin if anyone is actually interested. i paid $64.15 for mine just so u ppl know and thats tax and everything

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »
...i paid $64.15 for mine just so u ppl know and thats tax and everything

Grand Theft Auto 4 Retailed Price: $64.15 (after tax)

My copy: Grand Theft Auto 4: "Special" Edition Retailed Price: $89.99 / $96.50 (after tax)

Difference you ask?

Special Edition Includes (Since I'm at work, I got excited and open the box like a 5 year old on X-mas)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Copy of Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox360).

-Copy of "The Music of Grand Theft Auto IV" CD including tracks from Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, Mobb Deep, and more (16 tracks) plus rare track "Stand Up Jamrock" by Bob Marley and the Wailers and Son Damien Marley.

-Copy of "The Art of Grand Theft Auto IV" Book includings rare pictures of concept art of Grand Theft Auto, behind the scenes Mo-cap and a miniture tour throught the city of Liberty City.

-Rockstar Logo diecast keychain.

-Rockstar Carry Bag (still unopened, so I don't know how big it is. still working :(

and the finale.....

(Drumroll)

It's all encased in a black lockbox with the GTA IV Logo stamped on it.

>:-(-| : It matches my Elite perfectly! Aww...  [-O<

...It comes with two keys for people like me who lose everything, so you can stash your game in a box that your little brother can't get into.  :P It could probably fit like 4 or 5 games if you also feel like hiding any other hot new titles.

Why does it feel like the GTA countdown is still going on? 1 and a half more hours to go. Quick do something fun so time and fly for me.

-"aPoC."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:18:23 PM by aPoCaLyPsE »

Offline juelz aka wolfi

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 14, 2022, 06:32:03 AM
  • still no cajones to fight me? fuhgetdaboutit
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
ne chance of emailin me some of the GTA soundtracks?
sig by jvalent2 what happens to hulk? tell you soon
avatar shield by akeme and darktalbain

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »
This game is awesome! It can be a little slow after starting the game, but I promise you, you'll never get bored!

Offline Superjoker

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:November 11, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »

vvvery addictive

@-)

i give it five thumbs up
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »
ne chance of emailin me some of the GTA soundtracks?

I'll see what I can do when I get out of work today :)

-"aPoC."

Offline daniel13789

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 25, 2014, 11:23:01 PM
  • (had to remove it >:P)
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »
DAMN IT... i put in a cheat. and not i cant get some of the achivements... owell :-??

Team Snowman (stay frosty ;) )
(had to take away some arse threatened  me to

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 01:46:42 AM »
Um.. daniel.. that's why if you go to the more popular cheat sites.. and you go to look up cheats for GTA IV.. right above the phone # cheats it says something like "Warning: Inputting some cheats will affect missions and achievements" .... yeah..

Anyways.. I've put 22 hours into this game.. I'm only 42.6% done... dam this game is long! I mean I like how detailed it is.. but why does it have to be so long?? lol.. I guess to make people entertained longer, eh? The other games were relatively short compared to this one. I beat San Andreas relatively quickly.. lol (maybe because it was a PC version and cheats I was using..  8-} )

This game is still great, otherwise!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 05, 2024, 10:08:50 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar